Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Motherfunk!

lol... Don't condemn me brethren, it's not whatcha think!!! lol...

Yeah, I was thinking about my mom again today; I think about her all day every day. I was also trying to make some music at the same time; it led me to thinking about my mother in the time prior to her illness. And I realized something: my momma could boogie! I mean, she really had some funk running thru her. And come to think of it, I think that's where I got my rhythm from!

My mom used to be in the kitchen when I was little, maybe cooking dinner or something. And all of a sudden she would make this deep, guttural rhythm: "mm-mm---mm---mm-mm... mm-mm---mm---mm-mm..." It was like the bass kick from a marching band. Then mom would just start stepping and prancing around the kitchen. I would be thinkin to myself, "Man... she's lost it..." But I when I look back, momma could really move! I now recognize she was doing the salsa, but I didn't know what the salsa was back then.

Sometimes she would stop and march in place and act like she was twirling a baton, all the time never missing a beat. One day one of my aunts told me mom used to be a Majorette in the Laney High School Band. Then mom told me when she first started teaching she was also in charge of the dancing girls at Hephzibah High School. Motherfunk!

And it never failed; if a tight song came on the radio with a nice drumline, momma would always get into it, even if she didn't like what they were saying. I had forgotten all that because it seemed she didn't really want me to pursue music. I think she really just wanted me to be secure in whatever I did. And before she passed, she told me to do whatever would make me happy...

As I sit here right now, getting ready to produce another song, I can't get that rhythm out of my head... "mm-mm---mm---mm-mm..." You know what... I think I'm gonna make a joint dedicated to her using that rhythm. And I think I'm gonna call it...

B-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions