Thursday, July 27, 2006

Chirp, Chirp

I'm sleeping, I know I am. I haven't seen anything yet. It's still early. The night is so cool; I can even tell as I sit here. I got the nerve to crack a window right now.

I hear crickets chirping. I don't know why that stirs me tonight; reminds me of being back in the country. I'm watching reruns of A Different World. Ha... Cree Summer, Jasmine Guy, Jada Pinkett, Lisa Bonet, Marisa Tomei. Man, I really was born a generation too late, lol.

Still, I feel so close to days gone by. I rest on them at the close of my evenings. I even went so far as to throw on old favorites. Nah, not that old; I'm not a geezer. Just some tunes from when I was a scrapper... aight, a nerd. "Love Makes Things Happen" by Babyface and Pebbles (she was such a fox; "fox" was the word back then, lol). And "Forever More" by Puff Johnson. Dag that song has been with me for sooooo long and I never knew who sings it until tonight. I could look her up and see her face but... I like imagining better.

I was talking with a younger homie of mine a few days ago about music. And I said something that really stuck to me. We listened to old classics from all decades, and I told him, "Man, we were raised on better stuff than what's on the radio. We need to act like it. If we came up on better music, cats should be able to see that." Something like that.

The point is, I feel like I'm sleeping. Better music, better television, better health, better hopes, better dreams, better relationships, better upbringing, better friends... better days. Gone without a trace. But where did they go? Am I crazy? I know I'm not crazy. Lisa, you gotta know I'm not crazy. I'm looking at you right now, how could I be crazy?

I just figured out something; THAT's why I listen to old music so much. Because that's my proof. It's the only thing I have that I can extend in hand and say, "Here is the evidence of greater things. And I've lived through it; why can't we go back, Marisa?"

I think I'm asleep. I think many of us are asleep. What happened to the dreams of the 80's children, Cree? I know we're alive, and our time is coming. But we've changed sooo much! What have we buried within ourselves; what have we forgotten; what have we surrendered to; what have we given up on. I can feel something powerful within.

I'm so tired. I'm tired of sleeping. I dunno how to wake up. It's not possible for so much to be instilled in me and it never resurface. Even if it were to manifest itself in a spontaneous combustion incident or something; there's got to be more. I just want to blaze as the proof that there's more. I won't do it as a monument to myself. But I'll do it because I believe there's others like me out there, and if we could all just tap into that sleeper inside of us... dag this sounds like grade A cheese. But I'm SO sincere about it.

I don't want an amen corner or a right-on with my fries; nor do I need a pat on the back or the subsequent "pitiful" head-shake. You know what I want? I want that sleeper in my chest, in the deepest depths of my mind, in my fingertips, to hear the crickets. You've rested long enough; time won't wait for us. It truly is a different world now. It's time for you to wipe away the sleep and stretch into a good morning like never before. And don't pretend you're not there; if you're not, then stop making all that noise.

...It's a cool night. Wish it could last longer; it feels wonderful. But, the day is coming. So many things to do that I've never done before. Let's "make things happen" like love this time, aight?

Chirp, chirp

1 Comments:

At 8:13 PM, Anonymous hooker furniture said...

Very nice post! This blog is amazing, I am book marking it right now

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions