Friday, December 23, 2005

The Beauty of Work

Since I've started working at Target, I must admit it's been a challenge. But it's not a feeling of dissatisfaction necessarily that I'm dealing with.

I'm looking at my hands right now... Covered in papercuts and knicks. A little rough around the knuckles. Fingernails jagged and broken. Skin a little dryer than usual. One finger is bruised from getting caught between a eavy box and a metal ladder. (Sidenote: Somehow, the palm-side is still very soft, ladies... Free demonstrations available upon request B-J)

But you know what? I'm diggin this! I go back to work every night, and I don't really have any complaints. It feels like I'm taking a P.E. course or somethin'. It's only affirming what I already knew: I love to work. The people at my job worry about me because I always do stuff the hard way, and I love to do what I do thoroughly even when I'm the last person to leave. I mean, I'm not crazy... I do want to go home and go to sleep like everyone else. But when I hit the sack, I'm satisfied; I really feel like I did something.

I'd get the same feeling some nights when I would stay up until 3-4:00 working on music. That first bead of sweat I feel under my shirt does something to me. When my pastor says that man was made to work, I believe it. Mind you, I don't think we're all made for the same kind of work, but everybody has their niche. And when you work hard at it, it really feels good, at least to me.

I mean, think about it. Beautiful bodies don't come about by lounging; they come about by hard work at fitness. And so many health concerns are addressed by doctors telling patients to exercise more; couldn't exercise simply be a substitution for physical work?

There's nothing like physical labor. I spend my largest portion of time with the Lord while I'm working. If I'm frustrated, I take it out in my work. I build relationships with coworkers and we do better work when we get together. There's just something about work...

I admit, I work for money. I'm in a bind right now, so I go in thinking about that paycheck. But I feel a certain attachment to the work itself to the point that I think I might work for free if I had the energy to spare. And even if it didn't pay monetarily, it would pay physically as I got stronger. People seem to think that work is a punishment. But the more I look at it, the more work reveals itself as a thing of holiness.

I dunno... Lemme go, I gotta get some rest. Gotta punch in in about 2 1/2 hours. Need some rest...

All LoveB-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions