Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Thug Passion and Paradox

(Sigh) Yeah... It's another Tupac article. We've all been down this road before, so I'm warning you cats now: If you're one of those who likes to state and focus on the obvious, I don't recommend you read any further. Your minds are already set/closed and all you came here to do is argue. Sorry, but you more-than-likely will get bashed tonight.

So, am I a Tupac fan? WEll... That may be a bit much to say. On one hand, I've heard a lot of his music. I see him as profound individual. I still have a small Tupac poster on my door. I even have a few tracks in my archives somewhere... On the other hand, I don't have a single Tupac album. And the BIG poster I had next to my window for ---uh, 7 years I think?--- well it's down now. I'll let you decide if I'm a fan or not...

Meanwhile, I'm on to the issue. It's been 7 years, and cats are still grieving for Pac. Maybe it's because of all the MCs coming out and claiming they are his replacements. Maybe it's because the status quo of African-American society hasn't changed that much from when Pac was standing in the gap for the unfortunate.

Anywasy, in my mind for a while now, I was certain that it was time to put Pac (and Biggie) to rest. It happens once every year where I'm like, "I think the significance has passed". Well, recently I was watching a series of Tupac videos. Of course there was "How Do You Want It" and the like; 'just thought I'd go there to begin with to clear the air and such. (I don't know why people love to hold on to the worst they can remember about a person... you're still reading, aren't you...)

Then they played the video for "Brenda's Got a Baby". And I saw Tupac, holding a baby with a look on his face that said, "If I could protect you from the world, I would". (Think it's too dramatic on my part maybe? You're the ones who chose to read further; so sue me and keep reading...) Next I saw the video for "Baby, Don't Cry". And I listened to Pac speak of a young woman's plight with such compassion that I wanted to share in her struggle. This "thug" had a passion for the people around him. And I could tell it was genuine... not makeshift to be trendy.

But bump this... time to get to my point. Basically, the vast majority of the cats out now claiming to be "thugs in Pac's image" aren't even in Pac's near vicinity. They chant of their own prosperity and brag on their heartlessness. Of course Pac had his moments, Obviosos... But nobody can say that Pac was all about himself, and nobody can say Pac had no heart. So how can these cats claim Pac and easily fool so many cats? Oh yeah... prolly because of that tendency we have to focus on the negatives of a man. As far as you're concerned, these MCs really are mini-Tupacs, aren't they? (and yet, you'll read on...)

Man... Where are the "Baby Don't Cry"s? The "Dear Mama"s? The "Brenda's Got a Baby"s? The "I Wonder if Heaven Got a Ghetto"s? The "If My Homies Call"s? Don't get me wrong, I EMPATHIZE with thuglife, but I don't SYMPATHIZE with it (read the previous entry if you have any problems keeping up); as a Christian, I believe faith in Jesus makes the thuglife unnecessary. But as far as thugs go, most of these new cats are just animals. They're missing the love--- the heart--- to even think of stepping to Pac. These are thugs with no passion.

Obviously (why are you still reading?!) this doesn't pertain to all the MCs out there. I respect cats like Nas. Short list, huh...

lol... I know there are others out there, but you get my point. Nas hasn't always been the Nas he is now (so for the last time, sit down, Obviosos...before I pull microscopes on you). However, on his last few ventures Nas has faced-up the whole industry in verbal assault. His latest release, "Streets Disciple"... a LOT of work went into that; you can hear it. As an MC myself I know, it's not easy writing conscious music. What incentive did he have--- loading his verses with vital information and forging them from poetry to MC-worthy lines--- when he could much more easily have bragged about his possessions like all the other makeshifts out there and gone platinum? What and who was it all for? More than any other entity, I get the impression that it was for the people. And I'm not, nor am I trying to be "thug enough" to officially say this--- but THAT'S thug passion.

(Extending hand to Obviosos...) The floor's open to comments now, even yours...

*Note to self and readers: Lord willing, next few posts will be much lighter;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions