Sunday, October 02, 2005

Da Art of Storytellin'

One of my favorite joints by OutKast (especially the remix featuring Slick Rick) is Da Art of Storytellin' Part I. But I'm not gonna talk about the song. Actually, I'm gonna talk about Hollywood.

I thought about this about a year ago. When you go to the movies, does it make a differnce who's playing the roles in the movie you watch? I got a better question: SHOULD it matter who's playing the roles in the movie you watch? Do you go to the movies to see a good story, or to see the actors?

Personally, I get the feeling that actors have too much to do with the movies. Why do I say that? Well... how else do garbage movies get made and still make beaucoup box office bux? Because people go see anything if they recognize a face or two. I don't think it's really as much about the stories as we like to think.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but this is my ideal Tinsel Town... How about movies that are more about the story than about the people playing the roles? Picture this: a movie with a bunch of no-names. No credit rolls. Just the story and that's it; no distractions. How engulfing could a movie like that be?

Don't get me wrong, I respect the art of acting; it takes skills to be something you're not time-after-time, that's for sure. But what if cats got selected to play roles that fit them instead of them fitting into roles? Who they are on screen would be similar to who they are in reality. What an experience! I'd prolly be glued to my seat for the sheer realness of the film. I mean... when you have the same actors popping up in every movie, you never really separate the roles from the role-players; it's always "he was better when he played _______" or "he's so versatile". It becomes more about the actor than the movie itself, ya know? I bet even directors' methods are affected by the people that play the roles in their movies. Be honest; most of us leave the movies saying "He sure played that role well" instead of "I loved the main character" don't we...

S'not really a big deal tho; I have thoughts like this sometimes that really have no relevant significance to anybody. But wouldn't it be something to have immersive movies where stars and starlets were edited out to put all the emphasis on the movie itself? I think screenwriters might be more appreciated if the moviegoers were actually going to see the movies instead of the actors. And I might actually see fit to blow some gas money to hit the cinema sometimes, lol.

All LoveB-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2005,2006 Greater Augusta Productions